Her age is beyond a century. Ages never become a reason for her to stop striving for daily sustenance. That is what we can learn from this outstanding grandma, originated from Kampung Telok Berembang, Tuba Island, Langkawi, Malaysia. Her stories had been told widely in local newspapers and documentary program channels.
Sepora Mat Amin, or simply known as Tok Pora, is a 105-year-old grandma that is still going to the sea coastal to catch shrimps and shellfish. Tok Pora is a mother of six, is seen actively performing her daily routine doing home works and outdoor activities.

Tok Pora. Living free from any chronic diseases.
Tok Pora however no longer goes out to the open sea to comply with her family's wishes which advised her to rest now and no more doing tough jobs, but she still insists on keeping herself busy. Her life was not easy back then and the sea provided her a livelihood that sustained Tok Pora and her late husband so they could raise their family.
"I can't sit still because I can't break a sweat that way. I only felt relief after a catch at the beach. Good or bad catch, I will wake up early and work." - Tok Pora's favorite quotes.
Although there is an inaccuracy with her actual age since it is stated in the ID that she was born in 1926 or 94 years old as 2020. But the ID also signed a small star on a "26" digit indicating that there was uncertainty with her actual born date. She explained more that, the ID was actually registered when she was already more than 10 years old.
Tok Pora at the beach with fishing net.
When the visitors asked what her secret to long life was, the senior said healthy and fresh foods without added chemicals are staples in her diet. She's also practicing boiled and grilled cooking and avoid greasy foods. Living conservatively in a rural village is an advantage of getting fresh vegetables and Malaysian salads (ulam-ulaman). Her favorite salads including lakot, kaduk, palas shoots, and water spinach. The last unique tips from her is, no ice in her drink to avoid body aches.
I have been in Tuba Island for several times but never noticed about Tok Pora existence. What a waste. She is actually still doing a part time job of demonstrating how to weave mengkuang mats to tourists/visitors. Only cost us RM5 for one way boat from Kuah Jetty (in Langkawi) to Tuba Island, I wish I can pay her a visit one day. Perhaps having a chit chat and share stories about life. That is inspiring, isn't it?
![]() |
| Actively catching shellfish. |


Wow just wow.
ReplyDeleteSuch an inspiring..
ReplyDeleteInteresting. Can we visit her anytime we want? Or do we have to make an appointment first? Teringin sgtt nak lawat dia.
ReplyDeleteI think, an appointment before meeting is better especially during this pandemic. But I don't know how to reach her instead. lol. Perhaps travel agencies could help.
Delete